Recurring movement-based programs in South Dakota Public Libraries – contact the libraries to confirm availability of programs. Please add to or correct this information by using the form on the bottom of this page.
Alexander Mitchell Public Library – http://www.aberdeen.sd.us/library – Walking Books, book club during Adult Summer Reading Program; Fairy Garden workshops and a seed exchange for Earth Day; The library is currently building a new library and will be offering Dance classes for Seniors, Zumba and Yoga for Teens and children.
Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library – http://vermillionpubliclibrary.org/ – Exercise Group meets at the library Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings. The library also hosts a Movement Story Time for children birth to 4 with a caregiver, Tuesday mornings at 10:15 during Summer 2017. During the Fall and Spring seasons, this Movement Story Time program also has Saturday at 10:15 sessions. The 2017 Summer Reading Program features an hour-long FIT session for school-aged children, ages 5-12, on Thursday afternoons at 1 pm.
Lake Andes Carnegie Public Library – https://www.facebook.com/pg/Lake-Andes-Carnegie-Public-Library-792440977462702 – The library has activated a gardening project which has been expanded to 3 raised gardens for the summer of 2017. Patrons prepare gardens, plant seeds and bedding plants, weed and water, and sell products at a children’s Farmers Market later in the summer.
Rapid City Public Library – http://www.rcgov.org/events/month/ – Yoga @ The Library: Sol Yoga Collective offered once a month on Monday nights.
Siouxland Libraries (Sioux Falls / Minnehaha County) – http://www.siouxfalls.org/library – Programs include:
1)Bookwalk @ the Outdoor Campus: Hike a trail lined by pages of a book. For families, all ages welcome. Installation at the Downtown Library.
2) Nature Discovery Series @ Falls Park: Nature is everywhere, even in urban environments. Discover trees, insects and birds through activities designed to engage the whole family. Offered at the Downtown Library monthly during the summer.
3) Storytime Trail @ Arrowhead Park: Listen to a story, take a hike and wrap up with a craft. Bring an after-program picnic lunch if you’d like. Co-sponsored by Sioux Falls Parks and Recreation. Offered once a summer at the Downtown Library.
4) Traveling Storytime for families: Explore Downtown Sioux Falls with stories, music, movement and an activity at different weekly destinations. Offered at the Downtown Library twice monthly during the summer months.
5) Traveling Storytime @ Knotty Gnome: Come for storytime, music, movement and a craft. Offered annually at the Hartford Branch Library.
6) Family Storytime: Stimulate early learning with books, rhymes, music and movement at this drop-in program. Monthly at Brandon Community Library. Weekly at Colton Branch, Crooks Branch, Downtown Library, Hartford Branch, Humboldt Branch, Oak View, and the Prairie West Branch.
7) Moving and Grooving Storytime for Families: Read three books that feature movement, the children respond to prompts in the story. During breaks from books, participants dance, jump and count. Offered monthly at Oak View Branch and the Downtown Library.
8) Music and Movement: Boost your child’s language development and support early learning through dance. For children ages 2 to 5 and caregivers. Offered at least once a month at the Downtown Library, and also at the Brandon Community Library.
9) Preschool Storytime: Encourage a love of reading and develop your preschooler’s early learning through stories, rhymes, songs and movement activities. For children ages 3 to 5. Weekly at Caille Branch, Oak View, Prairie West, and the Running Branch Library.
10) Toddler Time: Nurture your toddler’s love of books through music, movement and story activities, while developing language, motor and social skills. For 2-year-olds and caregivers. Offered weekly at the Caille Branch, Prairie West Branch, and the Ronning Branch Library.
11) Wee Read and Explore: Engage your child in early learning games and activities. For children ages 3 to 6. Offered monthly at the Caille Branch, Prairie West Branch, and the Rural West Branch.
12) Teen Yoga: Learn new yoga poses to build strength and flexibility in the body and mind. Bring a yoga mat or beach towel and wear comfortable clothes. Registration required. Offered monthly at the Ronning Branch.
Watertown Regional Library – http://www.watertownsd.us/index.aspx?NID=162 – Music and Movement programs for very young children incorporate dance and Yoga.
Click on a state to explore movement-based programs in another state